PORTLAND, Ore. — The Portland Timbers’ long-awaited first home match in renovated Providence Park is Saturday night at 7:30 p.m. against Los Angeles FC.
While there will be lots of people around the area of Providence Park for the game, as there usually is, it will likely be more difficult than normal to get to the stadium.
That’s because the Rose Festival’s Starlight Parade is also Saturday night, and the end of the parade route is next to Lincoln High School, a couple blocks away from Providence Park. The parade begins at 8:30 p.m. and is expected to last through 11 p.m.
Due to the parade, the following road closures will take place:
- The northbound Salmon Street exit (2A) off of I-405 will close at approximately 5:30 p.m.
- The parade formation zone will close at approximately 3 p.m.
- The parade disband zone will close at approximately 4 p.m.
- Remaining city street road closures around the route will close at approximately 6 p.m.
- All roads/areas will re-open at approximately 11:30 p.m.
“Fans who drive to the match should plan on arriving early and parking in an area outside of the parade zone. Fans are advised to stay north of Burnside, south of Main St. and east of NW 20th Ave., when navigating the downtown corridor,” the team said in a press release.
The Timbers recommended the following routes for getting to Saturday night’s game:
Arriving from the north
- Take I-5 south, go west across the Fremont Bridge to I-405 south to the Glisan/Everett St. exit (2B); take a right on any street prior to Burnside
- Take I-405 west to Highway 30; take Vaughn St. exit and go left on NW 23rd Ave.
Arriving from the south
- Take I-5 north, go west to I-405, and take exit to 4th Ave. (1B) or 6th Ave. (1C); take a left on Jefferson St.
- Take I-5 north, go west to I-405 to the Glisan St. exit (2B); take a left on NW Glisan St.
Arriving from the east
Take the Broadway or Steel bridges and proceed west on NW Glisan to NW 18th Ave. or the Hawthorne Bridge to SW Main Street, or follow any of the I-405 directions from the North or South
Arriving from the west
- Take the Providence Park/Jefferson St. exit (73) off of US 26
- Take the Market St. exit (74) off of US 26; take a left toward Jefferson St.
- Take I-405 north to the Glisan St. exit (2B); take a left on NW Glisan St.
The team also encouraged fans to use public transit. TriMet is ramping up service through the evening to help people get in and out of downtown Portland.