SALEM, Ore. — Emergency crews responded to several crashes throughout Marion County on Sunday with icy roads being the major factor.
The Marion County Sheriff's Office said there were at least 11 crashes between midnight and early Sunday night, some which resulted in serious injuries.
One on Sunnyside Road Southeast south of Delaney Road Southeast around 10 a.m. involved four vehicles going off an embankment. Emergency responders rescued the occupants. There was no word on their specific conditions.
The sheriff's office is asking people not to drive after midnight into the early morning hours Monday with conditions expected to be dangerous and unpredictable.
They recommend the following:
- Stay home, only go out if necessary.
- Always wear your seatbelt.
- Drive with your headlights on
- Drive slowly
- Accelerate and decelerate slowly
- Increase your following distance to five to six seconds
- Know your brakes
- Don't stop if you can avoid it.
- Don't power up hills
- Don't stop going up a hill
Stream newscasts for free on KGW+ on Roku and Amazon Fire: How to add app to your device here
See a typo in this article? Email firstname.lastname@example.org for corrections