PORTLAND, Ore — With a heat wave expected to hit the region Thursday through Saturday, some cities and counties in Oregon are planning to open cooling centers to help those who need relief.
"It's something that's going to be uncomfortable, to say the least, for a lot of people though it won't be as bad as the epic, unprecedented, historic heat wave that we had back in late June, so that's the good news," said KGW Chief Meteorologist Matt Zaffino. "It's kind of a normal heat wave for us."
The cooling centers are open to people who live outside or those who may not have air conditioning at home. They provide air conditioning, seating and water.
- Sunrise Center, 18901 E. Burnside St., Friday, noon to 9 p.m.
- The Portland Building, 1120 SW 5th St., noon to 9 p.m.
- The Matt Dishman Community Center, 77 NE Knott St., noon to 9 p.m.
- The Charles Jordan Community Center, 9009 North Foss Ave., noon to 9 p.m.
- Capitol Hill, 10723 SW Capitol Hwy, Friday 10 a.m. to 6 p.m.
- Gregory Heights, 7921 NE Sandy Blvd., Friday 10 a.m. to 6 p.m.
- Hillsdale, 1525 SW Sunset Blvd., Friday 10 a.m. to 6 p.m.
- Holgate, 7905 SE Holgate Blvd., Friday 10 a.m. to 6 p.m.
- Hollywood, 4040 NE Tillamook St., Friday 10 a.m. to 6 p.m.
- Kenton, 226 N Denver Ave., Friday 10 a.m. to 6 p.m.
- Midland, 805 SE 122nd Ave., Friday 10 a.m. to 6 p.m.
- North Portland, 512 N Killingsworth St., Friday 10 a.m. to 6 p.m.
- Northwest, 2300 NW Thurman St., Friday 10 a.m. to 6 p.m.
- Rockwood, 17917 SE Stark St., Friday 10 a.m. to 6 p.m.
- St. Johns, 7510 N Charleston Ave., Friday 10 a.m. to 6 p.m.
- Troutdale, 2451 SW Cherry Park Rd., Friday 10 a.m. to 6 p.m.
- Woodstock, 6008 SE 49th Ave., Friday 10 a.m. to 6 p.m.
Libraries will revert to normal operating hours Saturday when temperatures are forecasted to be cooler.
- Glenhaven Park, NE 82nd Avenue and Siskiyou Street
- Mt. Scott Park, SE 72nd Avenue and Harold Street
- Knott Park, NE 117th Avenue and Knott Street
- Multnomah County East Building, 600 NE 8th St., Friday noon to 9 p.m.
- Gresham library, 385 NW Miller Ave., Friday 10 a.m. to 6 p.m.
- Fairview-Columbia library, 1520 NE Village St., Friday 10 a.m. to 6 p.m.
- Vancouver Library, 901 C St. Vancouver (On 2, 30, 60, 71, 105. 25,32,and 37 C-Tran Routes) Thursday 9 a.m. to 8 p.m., Friday–Sunday 10 a.m. to 6 p.m.
- Three Creeks Community Library, 800-C NE Tenney Rd, Vancouver (on #9 C-Tran Route) Thursday 9 a.m. to 7 p.m., Friday and Saturday 10 a.m. to 6 p.m.
- Cascade Park Library, 600 NE 136th Ave. Friday and Saturday 9 a.m. to 6 p.m.
- Vancouver Mall Library, Vancouver Mall, Suite 285 Vancouver ( C-Tran Vancouver Mall Transit Center). Friday and Saturday 10 a.m. to 6 p.m.
- Living Hope Church, 2711 NE Andresen Rd, Vancouver, WA 98661 (On the 32, 30 and 190 C-Tran bus lines). Friday 2 to 7 p.m.
- Mill Plain United Methodist Church, 15804 SE Mill Plain Blvd (On the 37 C-Tran Bus Line). Friday 2 to 8 p.m.
- Battle Ground Library, 1207 SE 8th Way, Friday and Saturday 10 a.m. to 6 p.m.
- Washougal Community Library, 1661 C Street, Washougal WA 98671 ( On 92 C-Tran Route) Thursday-Saturday 10 a.m. to 6 p.m.
- La Center Community Library,1411 NE Lockwood Creek Road, La Center, Friday and Saturday 10 a.m. to 6 p.m.
- Ridgefield Community Library 210 N Main Avenue, Ridgefield, WA (C-Tran Connector stop is a 1/2 block away), Thursday-Saturday 10 a.m. to 6 p.m.
- Camas Public Library, 625 NE 4th Avenue, Thursday–Saturday 10 a.m. to 6 p.m.
The city of Hillsboro is planning on opening three cooling centers on Friday from 10 a.m. to 8 p.m. Face masks and physical distancing are strongly recommended.
- Brookwood Library, 2850 NE Brookwood Parkway
- Hillsboro Civic Center, above Outdoors In. Staffed by Project Homeless Connect,120 East Main Street. This is a pet-friendly location: Pets must be crated at all times. Please bring your own crate and supplies to take care of your pets. Limited crates may be available.
- Shute Park Library, 775 SE 10th Avenue
Six water playgrounds are open daily from 10 am to 8 pm.
- 53rd Avenue Community Park, 300 NE 53rd Avenue
- Butternut Creek Park, 7830 SE, SW Deline St
- Magnolia Park, 1810 NW 192nd Avenue
- Walnut Street Park, 1717 SE Walnut Street
- Jerry Willey Plaza at Orenco Station, 943 NE Orenco Station Loop
- Tom Hughes Civic Center Plaza, 150 E Main Street
- Beaverton city main library: 12375 SW 5th St, Thursday and Friday, 10 a.m. to 6 p.m. After-hours cooling center located is Cathy Stanton Meeting Room and will be open Friday from 6 p.m. to 8 p.m. No pets allowed.
- Conestoga Recreation & Aquatic Center: 9985 SW 125th Ave, Thursday-Saturday, 7 a.m. to 7 p.m.
- Tualatin Hills Park & Recreation District Athletic Center: 15707 SW Walker Rd, Friday 7 a.m. to 7 p.m.
Splash pads will be open Thursday-Saturday from 9 a.m. to 8 p.m.
- Cedar Hills Park: 2300 SW Cedar Hills Blvd
- Timberland Park: 11600 NW Stone Mountain Ln
- Tigard Senior Center (bottom floor): 8815 SW Omara, open Friday from 12 p.m. to 8 p.m. and Saturday from 12 p.m. to 7 p.m.
- St. Anthony's Catholic Church: 12520 SW Grant St, Friday, 4 p.m. to 8 p.m. This is a pet-friendly location. Pets must be on a leash and owners should bring a crate. Face coverings and social distancing required.
- Tigard public library: 13500 SW Hall Blvd, Thursday-Saturday, 10 a.m. to 6 p.m.
- Tualatin public library: 18878 SW Martinazzi Ave, Friday 10 a.m. to 8 p.m.
- North Plains public library: 31334 NW Commercial St, Thursday-Saturday, 10 a.m. to 7 p.m. No pets allowed.
- Forest Grove city library: 2114 Pacific Ave, Friday 9:30 a.m. to 8 p.m.
- Forest Grove Senior and Community Center: 2037 Douglas St., Friday 9 a.m. to 5 p.m.
- Cornelius public library: 1370 N Adair St, Friday 10 a.m. to 9 p.m. Saturday 10 a.m. to 6 p.m.
This story will be updated