PORTLAND, Ore. — Portland Trail Blazers guard Damian Lillard will play for Team USA in the Tokyo Olympics. Lillard was one of the first players to commit to the team last month. This will be Lillard's first Olympics. In 2016, he dropped out of consideration for the Rio Games.
Lillard is the third Blazers player to compete in the Olympics while a member of the Blazers, joining Clyde Drexler in 1992 and Steve Smith in 2000.
USA Basketball announced the official 12-man roster on Monday:
- Bradley Beal, Washington Wizards
- Devin Booker, Phoenix Suns
- Jrue Holiday, Milwaukee Bucks
- Zach LaVine, Chicago Bulls
- Damian Lillard, Portland Trail Blazers
- Kevin Durant, Brooklyn Nets
- Jerami Grant, Detroit Pistons
- Draymond Green, Golden State Warriors
- Kevin Love, Cleveland Cavaliers
- Khris Middleton, Milwaukee Bucks
- Jayson Tatum, Boston Celtics
- Bam Adebayo, Miami Heat
"Our roster features players who are experienced in the international game, and this team has outstanding athleticism, versatility and balance," said USA Men's National Team managing director Jerry Colangelo. "We also believe we have excellent leadership which is a necessity in order to develop the needed chemistry. We still have a lot of challenges in front of us, but I believe these players will become a team that all Americans will be proud of."
Players will report to Las Vegas on July 6 for two weeks of training camp and exhibition games. The U.S. will depart for Tokyo on July 19. The Olympics begin July 23.
Here's a look at the team's exhibition schedule:
- Saturday, July 10: USA vs. Nigeria, 5 p.m.
- Monday, July 12: USA vs. Australia, 5 p.m.
- Tuesday, July 13: USA vs. Argentina, 3 p.m.
- Friday, July 16: USA vs. Australia, 3 p.m.
- Sunday, July 18: USA vs. Spain, 6 p.m.
The U.S. men have won six of the past seven Olympic gold medals, including the past three. Team USA has won 25 games in a row.
San Antonio Spurs head coach Gregg Popovich is the head coach of Team USA. Popovich's assistant coaches include Golden State Warriors head coach Steve Kerr, former Atlanta Hawks head coach Lloyd Pierce and Villanova University head coach Jay Wright.
LISTEN & SUBSCRIBE: KGW's 3-on-3 Blazers podcast