SEATTLE — Residents and businesses in North Seattle were evacuated Friday due to a natural gas leak, the Seattle Fire Department said.

Crews responded to the gas leak on the 10300 block of Midvale Avenue North around 10:30 a.m. Seattle Fire said the leak was caused when contractors digging in the area punctured a 2-inch gas line.

"[Firefighters] were like you need to leave right now. You're being evacuated," said Tilly Holmes, who lives on Midvale Ave. 

Seattle Fire said a fire ignited as Puget Sound Energy (PSE) was working to secure a gas line. The fire appeared to be out shortly after noon. 

Three PSE workers were injured while trying to secure the line and were transported to the hospital in stable condition. Two of the workers were treated and released from the hospital, and one worker was admitted.

Aerials: Gas leak fire in North Seattle

"I've been at Puget Sound Energy for 12 years and I can't recall anything like this happening," said PSE Vice President, Andy Wappler. 

After the explosion, the fire continued to burn for more than an hour. Seattle Fire said it was working to protect nearby homes and cars.  

"It looks very dramatic, but the safest thing to do is just let it burn," said Wappler.

Seattle Fire said all impacted buildings were evacuated. No other injuries were reported.