PORTLAND, Ore. -- A woman was taken into custody after an exchange of gunfire with officers Thursday morning in Southwest Portland, police said.

The woman suffered an unspecified injury and was taken to a Portland hospital. She was expected to survive.

On Sunday, police identified the suspect as 26-year-old Sarah M. Brown. She has been released from an area hospital and is being held at the Multnomah County Jail. She faces multiple charges, including attempted aggravated murder and first-degree burglary.

Sarah M. Brown (photo: Portland Police Bureau)
Sarah M. Brown (photo: Portland Police Bureau)

The two policemen involved in the shooting were Officer Joseph Webber, who has been with the Portland Police Bureau for 13 years. The other was Officer Darrell Shaw, who has been with the bureau 24 years. They were placed on paid leave during the investigation, which is standard procedure.

Officers were called to 800 Southwest King Avenue at 11 p.m. Wednesday on a report of a woman trying to enter a home. They responded, could not find a suspect and left the scene.

Then they received a second attempted burglary call about four hours later to the same address, involving the same suspect. Portland police Sgt. Chris Burley says there was "an exchange of gunfire."

No officers were hurt.

The sound of gunfire rattled neighbors like Jay Poole. “I heard about 12 more gunshots go off,” he said. “I couldn't tell where they were coming from then, all these police just started showing up.”

The Special Emergency Reaction Team and the Crisis Negotiation Team were called to the scene. Police said the woman was hiding under a porch.

Some nearby residents were evacuated and others were asked to shelter in place.

Behind the tape, Rene Miller was on the phone. She was supposed to open the nearby Subway at 7 a.m. That was put on hold.

“I start at 5:30 a.m.,” she said. “It takes me about two to three hours to prep the bread, get everything open, ready to go. It’s going to set me back quite a bit.”

King Avenue was closed, as was West Burnside, between 23rd and 20th avenues. Burnside opened shortly after 8 a.m. but King will remain closed south of Burnside for the rest of the day, Burley said.

A police robot entered the area about 6:30 a.m. and the woman was taken into custody by 7 a.m. She was assessed at the scene by medical personnel and taken to a nearby hospital with a non-life-threatening injury, Burley said.

"I am grateful no officers were injured during this morning's dangerous encounter," said Portland Police Chief Danielle Outlaw. "Officers responded and worked together to ensure the safety of the community. As with all incidents of this nature there will be a robust and thorough investigation and review."