VANCOUVER, Wash. — A man was arrested after he stabbed his girlfriend and her stepfather, then tried to flee by carjacking a van Tuesday afternoon, according to the Clark County Sheriff's Office.

The incident unfolded inside an apartment at 9211 NE 15th Avenue at about 3:20 p.m. Tuesday.

Clark County Jail records show Sankara P. Etienne, 24, has been accused of attempted first-degree murder, first-degree assault, first-degree robbery, first-degree kidnapping and vehicular assault. He also violated a no contact order and court warrant.

According to a probable cause statement by a deputy, the stabbing victim's stepfather has an anti-harassment order against Etienne.

On Tuesday he woke up to find Etienne in the apartment fighting with his stepdaughter. The stepfather tried to stop the fight, but Etienne grabbed a kitchen knife and sliced the man's hand.

Etienne then went into a bedroom and closed the door. The stepfather could hear his stepdaughter screaming. He opened the door and saw Etienne atop her, trying to stab her in the head and face, the statement said.

The three started fighting. Etienne grabbed a bottle and hit the stepfather over the head. The stepfather then ran from the apartment and into the parking lot, followed by Etienne.

Etienne got into a van on the driver's side door, climbed onto the driver's lap and tried to push her out. They fought for control but he was able to speed out of the parking lot. The driver tried to get out the van but could not release the seat belt.

As the van crossed Northeast 94th Street, she was able to get out of the van but was dragged along as the it went down an embankment and into a pond, the statement said.

Etienne then ran from the van and barricaded himself in a second vehicle. Deputies forced their way into the vehicle. He fought, but deputies were able to take him into custody.

The van driver appeared to have "severe" injuries that required staples, the statement said. She was released from the hospital Wednesday morning.

The stepfather had cuts to his hands and a head wound consistent with getting hit with a bottle. The stepdaughter had serious cuts to her head and one of her hands. A piece of knife blade penetrated her skull, the statement said. Both were taken to the hospital.