x
Breaking News
More () »

Shelter in place lifted in Longview after industrial fire

Crews were initially concerned about water treatment chemicals housed inside the building, but say now air monitors have not detected anything.
Credit: ThinkStock Photos
Fire Truck night

LONGVIEW, Wash — A shelter in place has been lifted for residents in Longview after a fire at a company that houses water treatment products for pools and water tanks. The fire started around 9 p.m. at HASA, Inc.,  3400 Industrial Way. 

Fire officials asked residents in a two-mile radius to stay indoors, keep doors and windows closed. Cowlitz County Department of Emergency Management says the primary concern was sodium hypochlorite which can cause respiratory issues when it becomes vaporized under fire conditions. 

They said as of 1:30 a.m. sodium hypochlorite, a bleaching agent, was not detected by air monitors. 

The company's website stated they are a "leading producer and distributor of high quality water treatment products used to sanitize and maintain water systems, including swimming pools and water tanks."

READ: Businesses moving into downtown Longview

READ: Watch: Driver crashes school bus near Forest Grove