NORTH PLAINS, Ore. — The Washington County Sheriff’s Office (WCSO) is asking for the public’s help in giving tips or identifying suspects in a string of crimes in the North Plains area.
According to a press release from WCSO, officers initially responded to a call for a stolen vehicle just before 5 a.m. on Saturday, Aug. 7 in the 30200 block of Northwest Stewart Lane. Then, another car was reported stolen in the 28800 block of Northwest Keenon Street.
Calls continued to come in from people reporting that their cars had been illegally entered and that things had been stolen from inside the vehicles.
In total, there are at least 21 known victims. Deputies, however, believe there are other victims who have yet to make a report.
Monica Penaloza of Northwest Stewart Lane had her car stolen. Her car was unlocked with the garage door opener inside.
Neighbors' security footage show a car stop right in the middle of the street in front of her home. You can see the suspects open her garage and several people run into her home.
"I'm terrified! The first thing that I think about is the safety of my children," Penaloza said. While inside, the suspects stole her purse, a video game console and other items.
Sgt. Robert Rookhuyzen with the Washington County Sheriff's office said the North Plains crime spree happened in a span of 45 minutes. Somewhere between five to seven male suspects went through several neighborhoods checking car doors and getting into vehicles. Sgt. Rookhuyzen described the group as "highly organized."
The investigation is still ongoing and authorities have collected forensic evidence and video surveillance footage from multiple crime scenes.
Crimes were reported in the following areas:
- 10000 block of Northwest Bartlett Loop
- 10000 block of Northwest Curtis Street
- 28800 block of Northwest Keenon Street
- 28700 block of Northwest Shaddon Street
- 28800 block of Northwest Shaddon Street
- 30200 block of Northwest Stewart Lane
- 32100 block of Northwest Wascoe Street
- 32200 block of Northwest Wascoe Street
- 32300 block of Northwest Wascoe Street
- 10000 block of Northwest 209th Avenue
- 10500 block of Northwest 285th Drive
- 10600 block of Northwest 285th Drive
- 10500 block of Northwest 289th Ave
- 10600 block of Northwest 303rd Place
- 10300 block of Northwest 307th Ave
- 10900 block of Northwest 318th Avenue
Authorities ask that North Plains residents check their home security cameras for relevant video footage from Aug. 7 between 3:45 a.m. and 4:30 a.m.
Deputies remind people to always lock their cars and to never store valuables inside unattended vehicles.
Anyone with any information on these crimes – including video footage – is asked to call Washington County non-emergency dispatch at 503-629-0111.