PORTLAND, Ore. -- As police continue to search for a suspect in connection with an alleged shooting, hit-and-run, kidnapping and sexual assault Friday morning in Portland, new details about the suspect's criminal history are starting to emerge.

Portland police identified the suspect on Friday night as 42-year-old Anthony David Stone. He is described as a 5-foot-9, 230-pound African-American man. He does not have a local address but has a significant and violent criminal history on the East Coast, said Sgt. Pete Simpson of Portland police. He should be considered armed and dangerous.

According to two reports in The Hartford Courant (here and here) and confirmed by a criminals records background search and court documents, Stone's criminal history in Hartford, Conn., includes the following charges and convictions:

1996: Conviction for risk of injury to a minor in 1996 in Connecticut after a second-degree sexual assault charge was dropped, according to The Hartford Courant. He was given a five-year suspended prison sentence and three years probation.

2004: Conviction of fourth-degree sexual assault in Connecticut. Stone pleaded guilty to the lesser charge after he was charged with third-degree sexual assault and risk of injury to a minor, according to The Hartford Courant. He received a one-year suspended sentence and 18 months probation.

2005: Charged with possession of firearms by a felon. This charge stemmed from a domestic dispute in which Stone's wife asked for a restraining order against Stone, who she said had threatened to kill her. Police found firearms during a search of their home, according to The Hartford Courant. The result of this court case is still unclear.

2007: Stone, who had been released on bail while awaiting a trial for the gun-possession charge, was returned to federal custody after he was accused of an attempted abduction of an 18-year-old woman. He was charged with unlawful restraint, second-degree reckless endangerment, breach of peace and reckless driving, according to The Hartford Courant. The result of this court case is still unclear.

2014: Convicted of two counts of third-degree assault. He was originally charged with first-degree sexual assault. He received a 10-month jail sentence.

There were other misdemeanor charges, including disorderly conduct and criminal mischief, against Stone.

Detectives have secured an arrest warrant for kidnapping, according to Simpson. Police do not know why Stone was in Portland.

Just before 2:30 a.m. Friday, Portland police responded to a report of a 41-year-old woman who was kidnapped at gunpoint while she was walking with a male companion. According to the companion, an armed black man pulled his car over to the curb, demanded the woman get in, and sped away.

Officers said they saw a "possible suspect" speeding west on Holgate Boulevard near Southeast 92nd Avenue. Then just before 4 a.m., the woman who was kidnapped was found with a gunshot wound at Southeast 43rd Avenue and Woodward Street.

She was taken to a hospital with injuries that were not life-threatening, police said. The woman told police the suspect also sexually assaulted her.

Ten minutes later, a crash was reported on the westbound lanes on the eastside entrance to the Hawthorne Bridge. The suspect reportedly shot his vehicle then ran across the bridge. Police believe he was the same man who allegedly kidnapped, shot and assaulted the woman.

That report led to a massive search downtown near the site of this weekend's Waterfront Blues festival and the bridge closings. But a review of surveillance video revealed the suspect never crossed the bridge; instead, he ran off the north side of the Hawthorne Bridge toward the Eastbank Esplanade.

Detectives were told Stone threatened a shootout with police, Simpson said. Stone did not know the victim.

Anyone who has more information about Stone or the incidents was asked to call Portland police detectives at 503-823-0696 or 503-823-0457.

Photos: Waterfront search for suspected gunman