PORTLAND, Ore. -- Fire early Wednesday morning destroyed the offices of Green Planet Dispensary in Southeast Portland.
Crews were first dispatched about 6:45 p.m. Tuesday to the complex at Foster Road and Southeast 111th Avenue.
A faulty ceiling fan in a bathroom caused a fire that sent flames through the roof.
That fire was extinguished quickly, but not before a faulty hydrant required 500 feet of hose from a second hydrant. A downed communication line also hampered efforts.
Then about 1:50 a.m. Wednesday, East Precinct patrol officers reported heavy flames on the roof of the same building. The building was engulfed in flames where firefighters arrived. They used defensive tactics to keep the fire from spreading to adjacent buildings.
Investigators were trying to determine whether and why the fire may have rekindled.
“The investigators will be out here later to take a look at the nature of that, whether it was a rekindle,” said Portland Fire and Rescue Captain Louisa Jones. “Obviously that’s always at the top of everybody’s list.”
Whatever the reason for the second fire, Green Planet owner Travis Moffatt is not disappointed with firefighters.
'They were great, they came through," said Moffatt. "Even if it’s a building with nobody in it, they still had risk and they did their job."
The loss of the building and finished product locked in several large safes in the offices will easily run into seven figures. But there is more product growing for the company that has three dispensaries and nearly 100 employees.
"It’s the best of the worst; it’s just the offices, no one was here, all the green planet fam ily is safe," said Moffatt. "And it’s just a building, we’ll rebuild."