BURNS, Ore. -- All four holdouts at the Malheur National Wildlife Refuge have surrendered, ending the 41-day armed occupation. While the takeover is over, it could be a while before life returns to normal at the federal property.

The four protesters were booked into jail Thursday evening.

The FBI said the refuge will be closed for several weeks while they inspect the area, gather evidence and ensure no one else is hiding there. A special team will work with a local tribe to document any damage to artifacts and ancient burial grounds at the property, said FBI Special Agent in Charge Greg Bretzing.

Three of the final four occupiers, Sean Anderson, Sandra Anderson and Jeff Banta, surrendered around 9 a.m. Thursday after a through-the-night showdown with the FBI. However, David Fry continued to hold out. He surrendered around 11 a.m. and is in custody of the FBI.

Timeline: Armed occupation at Oregon refuge

For two hours after the first three surrendered, Fry was on a phone call with the FBI, a blogger and supporters of the occupation. He described himself as suicidal and said that his grievances had not been heard or acted upon.

He asked agents at the scene to all yell, "Hallelujah" with him and he surrendered once they complied.

No one was injured during the standoff, the FBI said. No shots were fired.

Watch: Sky8 footage of the Malheur arrests

The final four occupiers are scheduled to appear in court on Friday. They each face a federal felony charge of conspiracy to keep federal workers from doing their duties through force or intimidation.

Meanwhile, the Department of Justice on Thursday announced nine more indictments in the occupation, bringing the total to 25 people. Seven of the defendants, who hailed from six different states, had been captured and were scheduled to appear in federal court Thursday and Friday.

The newly indicted include: Blaine Cooper of Arizona; Wesley Kjar of Utah; Corey Lequieu of Nevada; Neil Wampler of California, Jason Blomgren of North Carolina, and Darryl Thorn and Eric Flores, both of Washington state.

Two of the defendants were at large. They all face the same charge of conspiracy to interfere with federal workers.

"So relieved this ordeal is over," Oregon Gov. Kate Brown tweeted. "Many thanks to law enforcement who brought the Harney County occupation to a close."


The holdouts at the Malheur wildlife refuge had been joined on Thursday by various state legislators and a prominent religious leader as they worked with law enforcement on an end to the standoff.

The FBI moved Wednesday night to contain and possibly end the occupation, surrounding the refuge site with vehicles and prompting an overnight negotiation. Tens of thousands of people listened to it through various websites, including KGW.com.

Refuge camp_1455221903557.jpg
<p>This photo taken from Sky 8 shows the occupiers' camp at the wildlife refuge.</p>

Franklin Graham, son of televangelist Billy Graham, had announced Wednesday night that he would go to the refuge at the request of the holdouts and the FBI. He reached Burns on Thursday morning with Michele Fiore, the Nevada lawmaker who has been communicating with the occupiers for weeks. Fiore flew into Portland on Wednesday and headed to the refuge.

An Idaho lawmaker, Heather Scott, joined them as well on Thursday, as did officials from other states. Michael Arnold, one of the attorneys for former occupier leader Ammon Bundy, arrived in Burns as well, and said he was helping broker an end to the standoff.

Bundy and seven other occupiers were arrested in late January when they drove away from the refuge to attend a community meeting. Bundy remains jailed in Portland.

Cliven Bundy, the Nevada rancher who is the father of Ammon Bundy, also flew into Portland Wednesday night and intended to head to Burns. He posted a plea on Facebook for support for the remaining holdouts. Instead, he was arrested when he arrived at the Portland airport on outstanding federal charges.

More: Cliven Bundy booked in Multnomah County Jail

Activity began Wednesday at about 4:30 p.m., when one of the occupiers rode an ATV outside the barricades established at the refuge, according to the FBI. Agents approached the driver, who sped back to the refuge.

Starting around 5 p.m., an Internet radio stream with a conservative activist went online broadcasting a phone exchange with the remaining occupiers. At the same time, the occupiers reported that about six vehicles, presumably carrying law enforcement agents, had surrounded their occupation site.

The FBI confirmed its involvement and said agents were posted at barricades immediately ahead and behind the area where the occupiers were camping.

Sean Anderson, one of the occupiers, told the Internet radio audience that FBI agents had agreed to meet them at a checkpoint Thursday morning.

“We have to walk to them with our hands raised, no weapons," Anderson said.

People identifying themselves as the four remaining occupiers were on the phone all Wednesday night as the FBI surrounded the refuge.

Background: Who are the 4 still holding out at Malheur refuge?

"They killed LaVoy and they're about to kill us," one of the occupiers said on the telephone stream, which was re-broadcast to a YouTube channel by a conservative web-radio host.

"If they shoot, then we'll shoot back," another occupier said.

Fiore told the occupiers on the live stream to surrender and put down their guns.

"I need you to stay alive," Fiore said. "The only way we're going to be able to write your story...is if you're alive."

"If we go to jail, we'll never see the light of day again," Sandy Anderson responded.

The surrounding of the refuge comes more than two weeks after the FBI arrested eight occupiers, including Ammon Bundy, and shot and killed LaVoy Finicum.

More: Eight Oregon protesters arrested, one killed during confrontation with police

The armed occupation of the refuge began on Jan. 2 when Bundy and others broke off from a peaceful protest in Burns asking for ranchers Steven and Dwight Hammond to be released from prison.

The Associated Press contributed to this story.

Top local headlines:

WWeek: Lincoln High coach created tense racial scene

No detectable toxins in air test of Southeast Portland schools

Watch: Visitors struggle to stand up in high winds at Crown Point

Meal prep delivery services heating up in Portland

Follow us on Facebook for the latest breaking news updates.

Get news, weather & traffic updates on the go with the KGW News app