PORTLAND, Ore. -- For the fifth straight night, a group of protesters marched to show their opposition to Donald Trump's election victory.

And again the protest Saturday turned into a riot, with people blocking streets, throwing bottles and flares at officers and even attacking a news crew, according to Portland police.

Police arrested 71 people for a variety of crimes. Officers took 67 people to the Multnomah County Jail. Five other protesters were given criminal citations.

All 71 people who were arrested were given a traffic citation for failing to obey a police officer.

Photos: 71 people arrested

Just before 9 p.m., police said protesters were dragging metal barricades onto MAX tracks. TriMet officials urged people to avoid traveling downtown due to heavy delays.

Update: Portland Police say protestors are putting metal barricades across SW Yamhill blocking MAX tracks. More people...

Posted by Christine Pitawanich/KGW on Saturday, November 12, 2016

Protesters initially met at Pioneer Courthouse Square at 6 p.m. Saturday night before beginning their march at around 6:45 p.m. The group of a couple hundred protesters was much smaller than previous nights, when there were thousands of protesters.

The march was not permitted.

Police were providing constant Twitter updates on the march locations, arrests and other announcements throughout the night.

Earlier Saturday, Mayor Charlie Hales and Police Chief Mike Marshman urged protesters to stay home and to voice their displeasure with Trump's election in other ways.

More: Hales, Marshman call for end to protests

“Going to the streets for another night is not going to keep Donald Trump from taking office. It isn’t going to change anything,” said Hales.

“If you’re upset with the election, please don’t come out and protest,” he said. “We are done with criminal activity in this city. It’s time to move on and to move forward.”

The pleas from Hales and Marshman came after four nights of protests and riots, in which traffic was disrupted, buildings vandalized, one person shot and more than 40 people arrested.