LAKE OSWEGO, Ore. — Practices and games across several sports, including football, were canceled at Lake Oswego High School this week due to multiple cases of COVID-19.
According to Lake Oswego School District Superintendent Dr. Lora de la Cruz, the unspecified number of cases were contracted outside of school at a gathering on Feb. 25.
“These cases had participated in athletic practices and an onsite activity Friday-Tuesday,” de la Cruz wrote in the letter to Lake Oswego families. “People at or in close contact with people at these events may have been exposed.”
The following events are canceled:
- LO Football (All levels) -- practices and games canceled this week
- LO Baseball (All levels) -- practices canceled this week
- LO Boys Basketball (All levels) -- practices canceled this week
- LO Boys Soccer (All levels) -- practices and games canceled this week
- LO Girls Lacrosse (All levels) -- practices canceled this week
Lake Oswego High School was scheduled to play football at Tigard High School on Friday.
Clackamas County health officials are conducting contact tracing and notifying those who may have been exposed to the virus.
"We're all bummed. I've talked to multiple people and they're all super mad and sad about it," said Lake Oswego freshman Austin Bowen. "Every day at practice we were all super excited and talking about the game."
Bowen and his family urged all students to keep following safety guidelines like social distancing.