BURNS, Ore. -- A Woodburn man who said he was on his way to an Oregon refuge under armed siege was jailed in Harney County after threatening to shoot and kill federal agents.

Joseph A. Stetson, 54, made the threats outside a market in Hines, according to the Harney County district attorney's office.

He was then pulled over by police. Stetson told authorities he was heading to Burns to join the weeks-long protest at the Malheur National Wildlife Refuge.

Complete Coverage: Armed occupation in Eastern Oregon

Stetson was carrying a weapon that turned out to be a pellet gun in a holster, the sheriff's office said in a prepared statement.

He said he wished to be the personal bodyguard for the Bundy family, which orchestrated the takeover of the refuge in early January.

The actual bodyguard for the Bundys, Brian Cavalier, was called out by a British newspaper recently for lying about being a Marine who served in the Middle East.

“If I go to jail and I come out, I will kill you,” Stetson can be heard saying in a video of his arrest. He continues making the threats.

“You let me go right now or I’ll kill you, I promise you,” he said.

Watch the video (adult language)

It took troopers several minutes to get Stetson into a police vehicle. He would later kick the door and damage it. He was eventually cited for DUII and booked into the Harney County Jail for a detox hold and for resisting arrest.

Stetson was arrested on July 8, 2009 by the Washington County sheriff's office after deputies were dispatched to a report of a man violating his restraining order. When they arrived, the man had broken out the windows and demolished the interior of his daughter's mobile home.

Joseph Stetson
Joseph Stetson

A prepared statement from the sheriff's office included the following:

When Deputies arrived they saw that the windows in the mobile home had been broken out and Mr. Stetson was very agitated. They learned that no one else was home and decided to try and negotiate with Mr. Stetson to come out peacefully. Deputies decided to evacuate several homes surrounding the area
because they had information that Mr. Stetson may have had guns in the house. They later learned that the guns had been removed from the house when the restraining order was served over a month ago.

Mr. Stetson was verbally threatening with deputies, but they eventually talked him into giving up peacefully.

The Oregonian reported in 2009 that he was convicted of menacing and first-degree burlgary. He was sentenced to 75 days in jail and two years of probation.

The Harney County sheriff's office sent out a tweet about his Monday arrest.

Top stories:

Marion Co. Judge Vance Day should be removed, commission finds

Wine Spectator rates 650 Oregon wines for cover story

Watch: Trooper accused of breaking motorcyclist's collarbone

Follow us on Facebook for the latest breaking news updates

Watch live or check weather & traffic updates on the go with the KGW News app.