PORTLAND, Ore. — Portland's highest paying job in 2020 was that of a surgeon, an occupation that pulled down an annual average wage of $285,020.
And according to the Bureau of Labor Statistics, medical professions pretty much dominated the highest-paying occupations for the year. Jobs classified by the agency as "health care practitioners and technical occupations" accounted for 12 of the top 25 highest-paying jobs in the metro area.
That's good news for people with an M.D. after their names, but for the non-med school grads, we used BLS numbers to compile the 25 non-medical top-paying occupations in the region according to average annual pay.
For that group, jobs classified as management occupations comprised a big part of the list with 12, with the remaining 13 being a mix of occupations.
SEE SLIDESHOW: Portland area's highest-paying jobs
To see how the top 25 highest-paying jobs in the metro area ranked last year, click through the gallery linked above. For the BLS' full data set on occupations and pay, click here.
As for the top-paying health care jobs, here's how they ranked on the overall list:
- Surgeons, except ophthalmologists, $285,020, No. 1
- Anesthesiologists, $269,610, No. 2
- Obstetricians and gynecologists, $245,960, No. 4
- General internal medicine physicians, $239,170, No. 5
- Nurse anesthetists, $224,950, No. 6
- Dentists, general, $223,210, No. 7
- Psychiatrists, $214,440, No. 8
- Pediatricians, general, $181,010, No. 9
- Physicians, all other; and ophthalmologists, except pediatric, $174,860, No. 11
- Podiatrists, $154,650, No. 13
WATCH: KGW reporter stories