What better way to end the summer than with s'mores and a campfire? On National S'mores Day, August 10th, take the time to prepare for your weekend getaway. (Hint: for some of these recipes, you may need aluminum foil and skewers)
Campfire Monkey Bread
This sticky bread is a sweet way to end a day of exploration and hiking. It only calls for one refrigerated ingredient and the rest can be premade at home. It tastes even better over an open flame!
Ingredients (Pre-measure these):
One can of biscuit dough
Half a cup of cinnamon sugar (Two tbs of cinnamon to every half cup of sugar)
Half a cup of brown sugar
One stick of salted butter
- Open your biscuits and cut them into quarters
- Pour the cinnamon sugar into a plastic bag, add in a few biscuits and shake to coat. Repeat with all the biscuits.
- Place coated biscuits into pan or Danish oven
- Melt butter and stir in brown sugar. Pour mixture over biscuits.
- Before putting on your lid, place another layer of foil across the top of your dutch oven to catch any stray ashes.
- Bake over moderately heated coals for five to ten minutes or until center is cooked through.
Customize your usual s'mores by using a waffle cone instead of a cup.
Sugar or Waffle Cones
One bag of Mini Marshmallows
12 oz Chocolate Chip
Optional: Other small candies, fruits, crisps, and anything else that'll fit in a small cone
- Fill each cone with marshmallows, chocolate chips, and other toppings of your choice.
- Wrap each cone in aluminum foil
- Heat over fire (away from direct flames) for seven to ten minutes. Voila!
Using the frito chips that are usually left at the bottom of the snack packs, put together a nacho meal you can eat on the go.
Ingredients (can be pre-measured):
One pound of ground beef or turkey
Half a cup of diced onions
One (1oz) taco seasoning packet
Snack sized bags of Fritos or Doritos
Choice of nachos condiments (Sour cream, salsa, shredded cheese, guacamole, etc)
- Crush bag of Doritios or Fritos
- Brown beef or turkey in a pan over campfire and drain fat.
- Add the onion to the meat and sautee a couple of minutes until soft.
- Add the taco seasoning along with half a cup of water and simmer.
- Mix in with beans
- Spoon meat and bean mix into the chips bag, and add condiments!
Camping Hot Dogs
This two-ingredient meal is turns making hotdogs into a culinary affair for everyone. This easy recipe is the perfect balance of sweet and saucy.
Pillsbury crescent rolls
Place a skewer about 3/4 the way into each hotdog.
Open your crescent rolls and wrap one long pre-cut triangle around each hot dog.
Loosely wrap your crescent wrapped hot dogs in aluminum foil.
Roast over the fire, frequently turning you stick
Cook for 15-20 minutes and you're done!
Cinnamon Roll Ups
Instead of s'mores, try this tasty dessert. Not only is it delicious, but you'll also feel like a total pro making your own sugar glaze over an open campfire.
One package crescent rolls
One fourth a cup of sugar
One tbsp cinnamon
- Combine cinnamon and sugar
- Separate crescent rolls and wrap them around the skewer
- Roll skewers in cinnamon sugar mixture
- Cook seasoned roll ups over campfire for five minutes, rotating frequently
- Optional - Mix 1/4 cup powdered sugar and 2-3 tbsp water together to make a glaze and drizzle over roll-up.