PORTLAND, Ore. — The pandemic doesn't have to put a complete stop to Halloween, even though health officials say a lot of the usual activities could be dangerous.
All throughout the Portland metro area, there's everything from drive-thru Halloweens to socially distant activities at a dairy farm.
On Halloween day at TMK Creamery in Canby, organizers are planning a trick-or-treat event for children. It will include scavenger hunts, a costume contest for dogs and tours of the large farm.
Co-owner Tessa Koch said they just wanted to do something special for people during this hard time.
"We have a couple of large barns," Koch said. "So we will be doing the scavenger hunt under a cover in case it's raining. Everything will be monitored on how many people are in those barns. The tables where you pumpkin paint will be a minimum of 6 to 8 feet apart."
Over at the Clackamas County Fairgrounds, Scare Fair is happening every weekend until after Halloween. It's like a haunted house experienced in your car.
"Come into the parking lot, set up and just roll through and experience everything that the Halloween people have to offer," said organizer Tyler Nizer.
This Saturday in Beaverton, the Tualatin Hills Park and Recreation District is having its drive-thru Halloween. Organizers will have stations set up across the campus where there will be no-contact candy giving.
"We've pre-stuffed goodies in little bags and we are using grabbers to hand over the goodies to the little kids," said organizer Holly Thompson.
Here's a look at other safe Halloween activities:
- Drive-thru Halloween event in Lincoln City: Halloween night, starts at 5:30 p.m. at the Lincoln City Outlets in Lincoln City
- Drive-thru Halloween event for foster families in Wilsonville: Oct. 28, from 4-6:30 p.m., at Frog Ponds Farm in Wilsonville
- Drive-thru Halloween event at Oaks Park: Oct. 22-Nov. 1, at Oaks Amusement Park in Portland. Learn more
- Drive-by trick-or-treating in Vancouver: Halloween weekend, on Franklin Street in Vancouver. Learn more
- Scary movies at the drive-in in Ridgefield: Oct. 23-25 and Oct. 30-Nov. 1, at the Clark County Event Center in Ridgefield, Wash. Learn more
- Spirit of Halloweentown in St. Helens: Through Nov. 1 in St. Helens. Learn more
- Halloween at the Oregon Zoo: Oct. 24-25 and Oct. 29-Nov. 1 at the Oregon Zoo in Portland. Learn more
- Bi-Zi Farms pumpkin patch in Vancouver: Tuesday through Sunday through Oct. 30 at Bi-Zi Farms in Vancouver. Learn more