NEW YORK — Houston Dynamo goalkeeper Tyler Deric has been suspended pending an investigation by MLS and the Houston Police Department into his arrest Tuesday on misdemeanor assault charges in a domestic case.
Deric, who was the MLS Player of the Month for October, will not play for the Dynamo in a playoff game against the Portland Timbers on Sunday.
The league announced the suspension Wednesday and says it will "remain in close communication with the Houston Dynamo, local law enforcement, and the MLS Players Union during this investigation."
No further details on the arrest were disclosed.
The 29-year-old allowed just one goal in October as the Dynamo went 2-0-1 to secure their first playoff berth since 2013.
Western Conference semifinals
Portland Timbers vs. Houston Dynamo
At Providence Park, Portland
TV: 4:30 p.m., FS1, FOX Deportes
What's at stake: The Timbers will need to avoid a loss or draw at home or else the Dynamo will advance.
Suspensions and injuries
- Suspended: GK Tyler Deric (Off-field conduct)
- Suspended after next yellow card: D Phillippe Senderos, M Ricardo Clark, D Adolfo Machado, F Romell Quioto, F Alberth Elis
- Injury Report: OUT: D George Malki (torn ACL), M Memo Rodriguez (knee), D AJ DeLaGarza (torn ACL); D Leonardo
- Suspended: None
- Suspended after next yellow card: D Alvas Powell, D Larrys Mabiala
- Injury Report: OUT: D Gbenga Arokoyo (Achilles), D Chance Myers (ankle), M Diego Chara (foot); QUESTIONABLE: D Larrys Mabiala (hip), F Fanendo Adi (hamstring), M Darlington Nagbe (hamstring), M David Guzman (knee), M Sebastian Blanco (burns)