There are simple things that every family can do to prepare for a possible earthquake shaking their home.
Experts recommend the following tips:
- Put child-proof latches on cabinets
- Store heavy objects at floor-level cabinets
- Store hazardous materials in floor-level cabinets
- Secure tall furniture with bolts
- Secure picture frames with Velcro
- Move beds out from under windows
It’s important to note that experts say even if you do quake-proof your home, there’s no guarantee you’ll be able to get earthquake insurance.
Here are some types of homes that could be excluded:
-100% Masonry homes
-Homes with post & pier foundations
-Homes with open foundations
-Homes built before 1950
-Homes with cement or tile roofs
-Homes in Portland’s West Hills