Man in police struggle killed brother in 1998

Man in police struggle killed brother in 1998


by KGW Staff

Bio | Email | Follow: @KGWNews

Posted on July 5, 2012 at 12:51 PM

Updated Wednesday, Oct 30 at 8:05 AM

PORTLAND -- A naked man subdued by police Thursday was convicted of killing his brother in 1998, sentenced to the state mental hospital and later released.

Charles Freeman, 45, was found guilty except for insanity in the murder case. But in 2005, an Oregon Supreme Court decision ruled substance abuse was a "personal disorder" and not a mental disease, leading to his release.

Freeman bit officers while he was being handcuffed in Southeast Portland Thursday afternoon, police said.

Watch: ODOT cam captures naked man arrest

Freeman was the same man who fought with Gresham Police on Wednesday night, they said. He was suspected of being high on methamphetamine and it took multiple officers to subdue him. Officers then took Freeman to Portland Adventist Hospital.

Freeman was released from the hospital Thursday but would not leave the grounds. Police said he was seen urinating in the bushes at the hospital.

"He was dressed in a gown and he had something in his hand and he was all messed up," said David Pritchard, hospital groundskeeper.

An employee at the nearby America's Best Eye Glasses store told KGW Freeman then ran into the store, wearing a sheet.

"He was just standing in the store, holding a sheet around his shoulders," the employee said. Police "came in and asked him to leave."

Officers then escorted Freeman outside, and he "suddenly dropped the sheet and took off," the employee added.

Police said a totally naked Freeman then tried to commandeer an occupied van, and officers used a Taser on him but it had little effect.

Three officers caught up to Freeman at the corner of SE 97th Avenue and SE Stark Street near the Interstate 205 on-ramp where they subdued him. He grabbed an officer’s leg and bit others in the course of the struggle, police said.

One of the officers struck Freeman so he would let go of another officer and they handcuffed him. Police said three officers suffered injuries and they are continuing their investigation.

"All force in the Portland Police Bureau is documented extensively," said Lt. Robert King.  "It'll be reviewed through the chain, every use of force."

"There is a time when pepper spray doesn't work and a Taser doesn't work," he added. "Those tools designed to be productive can't overcome the resistance of this person, and that's what we had today."