WILSONVILLE, Ore. -- A Wilsonville teen has a warning for other teens and their parents about something he smoked that nearly took his life.
Zain, who did not want to use his last name, smoked synthetic marijuana known as blueberry spice. He says his friend bought it at a Beaverton smoke shop.
He didn’t get high. Instead he started vomiting and had severe back pain.
“I knew something was wrong so I went home right away and told my mom,” he said. At Randall Children’s Hospital he learned his kidneys were failing.
Officials with the Drug Enforcement Administration told KGW the smoke shop where the Zain purchased the synthetic marijuana was searched and all the spice products were seized. The evidence was sent to a lab for testing to determine if it contained any banned chemicals.
“I had never heard of spice,” said Doctor Sharon Su, ”So I started doing some research.” She found 14 cases of kidney failure in Wyoming that had been connected to blueberry spice.
“Many people are now interested in trying to find out what is in blueberry spice that triggers kidney failure in some people,” she said.
Dr. Richard Leman at Oregon Public Health Division was contacting kidney specialists, trying to determine if others have had a similar reaction after trying to get high on the spice.
The CDC was also testing samples of blueberry spice bought in the Portland area.
“It’s not legal and it’s not worth the gamble,” remarked Leman.
After several days at Randall Children’s Hospital, Zane went home and was planning to return to Wlisonville High School for his senior year.
“I made a mistake and I’m trying to move forward. I want to educate others about the poisons that are out there, ” concluded Zain.