PORTLAND – Eighteen thousand bicyclists and pedestrians made their way around Portland's bridges and streets during the 19th annual Providence Bridge Pedal Sunday. Many road closures were in effect through the morning.
The Bridge Pedal sends participants on a journey across Portland's iconic bridges, criss-crossing from the west to east sides of the city.
"With clear skies and plenty of sunshine, the views from each bridge were amazing," said Lisa Helderop, spokeswoman for Providence Bridge Pedal.
The event also shut down many of Portland's streets, starting very early Sunday morning until around 12 p.m.
The first closures began at 4 a.m. on the Burnside Bridge, Fremont Bridge, Ross Island Bridge and Marquam (I-5) Bridge. Other street and bridge closures continued on a rolling basis after that.
Officials noted that while the St. Johns Bridge will remain open during the race, it was closed from 9 p.m. Saturday – 4 a.m. Sunday for maintenance.
Several major roads and highways were closed around the event route during the Bridge Pedal.
Buses also had minor detours and MAX trains could experience delays.
The following is a full list of closures due to the Bridge Pedal:
• The Sellwood Bridge will be closed to westbound traffic from 5:30 a.m. to 9 a.m.
• The Ross Island Bridge will be closed to westbound traffic from 4 a.m. to 11 a.m.
• The Marquam Bridge (Interstate 5) will be closed to northbound (upper deck) traffic from 4 a.m. to 11 a.m.
• The Hawthorne Bridge will be closed to eastbound traffic (except TriMet buses) from 6 a.m. to 11 a.m.
• The Morrison Bridge will remain open in both directions. Two eastbound lanes and the eastbound offramp from the bridge to SE Water Ave. will be closed from 6 a.m. to 8:30 a.m.
• The Burnside Bridge will be closed to westbound traffic from 4 a.m. to 11:30 a.m.
• The Steel Bridge will be closed to eastbound traffic from 6:30 a.m. until 12:30 p.m. MAX trains will operate on the Steel Bridge.
• The NW Broadway ramp to the Broadway Bridge will be closed to eastbound traffic from 6 a.m. to 11 a.m., but the NW Lovejoy Ramp will remain open. The bridge will be open to two-way traffic, including the Portland Streetcar, during the event.
• The Fremont Bridge (Interstate 405) will be closed to southbound (upper deck) traffic from 4 a.m. until noon, with access by bicyclists ending at 11:30 a.m.
• I-5 and I-405: During the temporary Marquam Bridge closure (from 4 a.m. to 11 a.m.) motorists approaching the Marquam Bridge from I-5 northbound will be routed to I-405 northbound, across the lower deck of the Fremont Bridge, back to I-5 northbound. The north and southbound ramps from I-5 to southbound I-405 will be closed from 4 a.m. to noon.
• All southbound lanes of I-405 will be closed between I-5 at the north end of the Fremont Bridge to the Marquam Bridge. Motorists traveling to I-405 southbound from I-5 southbound will continue on I-5 southbound across the lower deck of the Marquam Bridge to I-405 northbound. All on- and off-ramps to northbound I-405 will remain open through downtown Portland.
• All southbound lanes of I-5 and all northbound lanes of I-405 will remain open at all times.
• The ramp from NW Couch St. and NW 16th Ave. to I-405 southbound will be closed from 4 a.m. to 11 a.m.
• The ramp from SW Taylor St. and SW 13th Ave. to southbound I-405 will be closed from 4 a.m. to 11 a.m.
• The ramp from SW Montgomery St. and SW 13th Ave. to southbound I-405 will be closed from 4 a.m. to 11 a.m.
• The ramp from SW 5th Ave. to I-405 southbound will be closed from 4 a.m. to 11 a.m.
• The ramp from I-405 southbound to U.S. 30 westbound will be closed from 4 a.m. to noon.
• The Greeley Ave. off ramp from I-5 north will be closed from 4 a.m. to noon.
• North Going Street to I-5 south will be closed from 4 a.m. to noon.
• The Broadway on ramp to northbound I-5 will be closed from 4 a.m. to noon.
• Access to I-84 will be open from I-5 southbound as well as from the Morrison Bridge.
• North Cook Street and North Kerby access to the top deck of the Fremont Bridge will be closed from 4 a.m. to noon.
• Starting at 4 a.m., motorists traveling eastbound on U.S. 26 (Sunset Highway) to I-405 southbound will take northbound I-405 across the Fremont Bridge to southbound I-5. This detour will remain until 11 a.m.
• The ramp from U.S. 26 eastbound (Ross Island Bridge) to U.S. 99E southbound will be closed from 4 a.m. to 9:30 a.m.
• The ramp from SE Woodward St. to Ross Island Bridge westbound will be closed from 4 a.m. to 11 a.m.
• Oregon Highway 43 (SW Macadam Ave.): Starting at 6 a.m., one northbound lane of SW Macadam Ave. will close from the Sellwood Bridge to the Ross Island Bridge, with some delays accessing areas east of SW Macadam Ave. All lanes on Macadam Ave. are expected to reopen by 9:30 a.m.
• U.S. 30: From 4 a.m. to 11 a.m. the ramp from U.S. 30 eastbound to I-405 southbound will be closed. The ramp being closed is NW Bridge Ave. between the bridge and U.S. 30 eastbound.
• The ramp from U.S. 30 Bypass westbound (St. Johns Bridge) to U.S. 30 eastbound will be closed from 7:30 a.m. to noon.
• SW Naito Parkway will be closed in both directions between SW Jefferson to NW Davis. Northbound NW Naito Parkway will also be closed from NW Davis at Steel Bridge to NW 15th Ave. Southbound traffic on NW Naito will reopen before northbound.
• N Willamette / N Greeley will be closed to southbound traffic from N Richmond to N Interstate.
• N Ivanhoe / N Leavitt / N Charleston / N Princeton will be closed to traffic from N Richmond to N Philadelphia.
• N Interstate will be closed to northbound traffic between N Oregon to N Greeley. Expect delays at Greeley.
• SE Milwaukie will be closed to southbound traffic from SE Schiller to SE Ellis.
• SE Clay will be closed to traffic west of SE Martin Luther King with access for local traffic only to SE Water and OMSI.