WARRENTON, Ore. -- A two-alarm fire that destroyed a seafood plant in Warrenton last month was caused by maintenance being done with a propane torch, investigators said.
The fire in the Pacific Seafood plant, at 450 NE Skipanon Drive, was reported at 10:30 a.m. on June 4. All 80 employees inside evacuated the building while crews from six different agencies battled the blaze.
Raw Video: Fire rages at Warrenton seafood plant
Warrenton Fire Chief Tim Demers said Thursday the fire started while vents were being installed on the roof of the building. The vents were being sealed using a propane torch.
This heating ignited the underside of the roof and burned in the void space for as long as an hour before being noticed, Demers said.
The building was destroyed. The company temporarily leased a fish-processing facility in Astoria.
No injuries were reported.
Background: 80 workers flee at Warrenton seafood plant