VANCOUVER A sheep being raised for the Clark County Fair was found dead Friday morning from apparent head trauma.
The sheep, named Chocolate, was being raised for the fair by Maddie Moore, 15, of Battle Ground. Spent fireworks were found in Chocolate s pen, which was bowed out in several spots.
The sheep apparently died after hitting the fence with its head.
Its really, really difficult to have an animal die. The main point of 4H is the experience of raising animals and this is another experience just one no one wants to happen, Moore said.
A neighbor reported hearing fireworks around 10 p.m. Thursday. One of the fireworks was was doctored with electrical tape to make it explode.
Maddie had spent $250 of her own money to buy Chocolate and get her ready for the fair.
Clark County police and animal control officials said they don't have the resources to investigate unless they have more evidence.
Anyone with information about the case was asked to contact Clark County Animal Control at360-397-2488.