DALLAS A fire burst through a manhole cover early Friday morning in front of the Joule Hotel on Main Street in downtown Dallas.

According to Oncor, the fire broke out in an underground electric vault that houses electrical equipment.

The hole turned out to be an access point to an underground electrical vault, within which a piece of equipment somehow caught fire, according to a statement from Dallas Fire-Rescue.

Up to 150 tuests at the hotel were evacuated as firefighters battle the fire that went to three alarms.

Oncor disconnected power to a five-block area around the 1600 block of Main Street. City Hall was among the buildings without power. The city was able to activate a backup generator.

Power was restored by 8 a.m.

While there were no injuries, the blaze did cause some damage to the hotel's facade, an overhead canopy and a window, Dallas Fire-Rescue said.

Read or Share this story: