GOVERNMENT CAMP, Ore. Searchers on Mount Hood located a body approximately 8,400 feet up the mountain in an area consistent with where missing climber Kinley Adams was lost.

A Blackhawk helicopter located the body near the top of Sandy Glacier that has no sign of life. Crews have not been able to identify the body but said there was a high probability that it was Adams, a spokesman from the Clackamas County Sheriff's Office said.

Adams' family held a new conference Saturday and said they believed the body to be his.

This is a disappointing end to a difficult week. We do genuinely wish it had ended differently, but this is where we are, said Mark Goetz, Kinley Adam's brother-in-law. We're left with wrestling with hard things and we will and we know that Christ will go with us.

The area is very difficult and technical terrain and crews are planning to launch a recovery team early Sunday morning.

Adams set out to summit Mount Hood on Friday June 21, his son said. He was expected back by about 3 p.m. Saturday, after climbing the Leuthold Couloir that snakes up the west side of the mountain.

Family members notified the Clackamas County Sheriff s Office at 9 p.m. on Saturday that Adams was overdue, said Deputy Nate Thompson.

Photos: Search continues on Mt. Hood

After a week where weather thwarted search efforts, rescue crews awoke to clear skies Friday, enabling them to mobilize the larger Chinook helicopter in hopes of finding the 59-year-old dentist missing on Mt. Hood since Saturday.

The weather forecast called for clear conditions in the coming days and crews hoped to continue the search throughout the weekend if necessary.

High winds, wet conditions and low visibility kept crews below 10,000 feet for all of day four of the search Wednesday, and then for most of the day Thursday. Crews at higher elevations had also been called back Monday and Tuesday afternoons due to similar weather problems.

Searchers headed out at first light Sunday and reached the summit via the Leuthold route but could not find Adams. The search was postponed after white-out conditions made searching nearly impossible Sunday evening.

They resumed the search Monday morning, but were hindered by winter weather conditions at the 9,000-foot level. Similar weather challenges thwarted searches on Tuesday and Wednesday.

Adams was training for a mountaineering trip to Nepal. His vehicle was in the Timberline parking lot and he had registered for the climb, including his planned route. His son told KGW Kinley did not take a tent, shovel or sleeping bag with him when he set out Friday.

Adams is a longtime Salem resident and a dentist. The Statesman-Journal reports that he was first violinist in the Salem Pops Orchestra.

Kinley did not have a climbing beacon but he had a cellphone. Rescuers were never able to locate the phone signal.

The Clackamas County Sheriff's Office released the following map Monday morning. The red, blue and black lines show the search patterns of the SAR teams.

Read or Share this story: