PORTLAND -- Nearly 30 people were arrested Sunday morning as Occupy Portland protesters refused to leave Jamison Square, but the demonstration ended without violence, police said.

When the park closed just after midnight, police warned everybody that they would be arrested if they didn't leave.

Early Monday, protesters created another encampment at Terry Shrunk Plaza. They were also expecting a visit from documentary filmmaker Michael Moore at 3:30 p.m.

Background:Moore to visit 'Occupy Portland'

The Sunday arrests occurred after police said they gave numerous warnings that Jamison Square Park closed at midnight and anyone remaining there after hours could be arrested.

Two people were arrested just before police moved in, and then 25 protesters were arrested for remaining in the park, according to Sgt. Pete Simpson with the Portland Police Bureau.

Officers began making the arrests at around 2 a.m. and the process lasted nearly 90 minutes. Aside from some pushing and shoving, police said there were no violent clashes between demonstrators and police.

In a statement Sunday morning, Occupy Portland spokesman Jordan Ledoux said about 450 supporters had been in the park before police moved in.

At one point, Ledoux said, A woman was pinned between two mounted police horses while standing on the sidewalk in support of protesters and another supporter's bicycle was crushed in the incident.

Background: 'Occupy Portland' protesters march downtown

The group had talked about expanding to the square for several days, calling the Pearl District the best example of wealth disparity in Portland.

Mayor Sam Adams disagreed, and spoke Sunday morning about why he chose to prevent camping at Jamison Square after allowing it in other places downtown.

Unlike Chapman and Lownsdale Square, he said, this is a neighborhood park surrounded by residential and street business. It's also a place that the 99 percent live. In addition to more affluent residents, there are five subsidized affordable housing projects within four blocks of Jamison Square.

More: 'Occupy Portland moves to Pearl; 2 arrested, 4 cited at camp

Charges filed Sunday morning included criminal trespassing, interfering with a police officer and disorderly conduct.

Members of the sit-in offered a statement on behalf of those arrested, saying they stand in solidarity with people in Oakland, Atlanta, Chicago, and other cities where aggressive police raids and 2,826 arrests have attempted to forcibly disperse peaceful assembly and political protest.

The occupation movement condemns police brutality as well as the unjust and growing inequality of wealth, resources, and political influence in the nation and world, the statement read.

The Sunday arrests came after a long march around the city that ended in Jamison Square Saturday.

The group announced that it will organize a rally next Sunday at Terry Schrunk Plaza to protest the Keystone XL Pipeline that would carry crude oil from the tar sands of Alberta, Canada, to Texas refineries.

Some protesters set up tents at Schrunk Plaza overnight Sunday

There was also talk of a 'zombie' march on Bank of America to protest that bank's business relationship with coal firms.

Read or Share this story: