PORTLAND -- A 3-year-old Vancouver girl was recovering Monday after doctors removed 37 'Buckyballs' magnets from her intestines.

Payton Bushnell complained to her parents of symptoms that resembled the flu and lasted several days, Legacy spokeswoman Maegan Vidal told KGW. Then they took her in to get checked.

Doctors took an X-ray (see photo) and found the balls clustered in her stomach in a ring pattern. The magnet configuration was powerful enough to puncture intestinal linings.

She was expected to fully recover and was listed in good condition Monday morning. She had been in the Randall Children s Hospital at Legacy Emanuel Medical Center since Feb. 21.

The Buckyballs company issued a statement at the top of its web page Monday:

Buckyballs was saddened to learn that a 3-year-old girl had swallowed high-powered magnets but we are relieved that she is expected to make a full recovery. This unfortunate incident underscores the fact that Buckyballs and Buckycubes are for adults. They are not toys and are not intended for children. We urge all consumers to read and comply with the warnings we place on all our products, on our website and in stores. Please keep these products out of the hands and reach of all children.

Read or Share this story: