PORTLAND A memorial was planned for a downtown Portland bouncer who died of a gunshot wound early Saturday morning after a fight outside the club where he was working.

Ruben Mata, 32, was joined by other workers of Top Flyte Security at Club 915 in escorting some patrons out at about 1:30 a.m. when he was shot.

It is time for us to unite as a community and put an end to gun violence, Club 915 manager Curtis Mazelin said in a news conference Wednesday. No one should have to endure this kind of loss.

Top Flyte owner Timo Porotesano said Mata, known to friends as Q , had divorced a year go. His ex-wife moved to the Las Vegas with the three boys. He moved there too to remain close to his sons, Porotesano said.

The boys are Joshua, 13, Martin, 10 and Isiah, 4.

Though not a regular employee of Top Flyte, Mata had a best friend on the crew that night at Club 915 and agreed to work the one New Year's Eve shift.

Porotesano said Mata was kind-hearted, caring and loving . . . like a big brother to us all.

A benefit and fundraiser was set for Jan. 16th from 5 p.m.- 11 p.m. at the Barrel Room on 3rd & Couch. Friends said a local business was donating items for a silent auction and club staff were donating time and a portion of all the proceeds.

The night of the shooting, a fight broke out once the two groups were outside and shots were fired, according to Portland Police Bureau spokesman Sgt. Pete Simpson.

Mata was taken to a hospital where he died.

The gunfire included a police officer but the Portland Police Bureau offered few details of that aspect of the shooting.

Kevin Charles Moffett, 31, was arrested early Saturday evening on an accusation of murder, Simpson said. He was being held at the Multnomah County Jail.

Just after 1:30 a.m. a Portland police officer was investigating a fight at Club 915, near SW 2nd Avenue and SW Taylor Street. Within seconds, he reported that shots were fired, Simpson said.

A second officer soon found the victim on the ground nearby. Police said hundreds of people were exiting the club at the time.

In the course of interacting with persons associated with the shooting, said Simpson, the second officer discharged his firearm.

There were no reports that anyone had been hit by the shot fired from that weapon, Simpson told KGW.

Officers from the East, Central and North Portland precincts, as well as the Traffic Division and Gang Enforcement units helped control the crowd at the scene.

Postings on Mayor Sam Adams Twitter account at just after 10 a.m. Saturday said the dead man was a bouncer and that his death involved Club 915.

Very tragic: bouncer shot/killed last night SW 2nd/Taylort: If you have info on the crime: Dets. Rico (503) 823-0457 @portlandpolice #Pdx

A large area of downtown Portland was closed off for several hours to all vehicular and pedestrian traffic. Streets from Yamhill to Main and First to Fourth were shut down.

The officer who fired a weapon was placed on paid administrative leave as the investigation continues, per bureau policy.

Anyone with information about the shooting was asked to call Detective Rico Beniga at (503) 823-0457 or Detective Paul Dolbey at (503) 823-0451.

Anybody who was there and would like to talk to us about it can send an email or call (503) 226-5111.

In November, a patron, Michael Ellis, was asked to leave Club 915 after acting erratically. He was found dead in a frigid fountain on the Waterfront. An autopsy showed he died of hypothermia.

More: Club reaches out after hypothermia death

Read or Share this story: