PORTLAND, Ore. -- The last passenger on the TriMet bus who got off at a stop just before the crash that killed two people last weekend has come forward.

Investigators on Thursday released a surveillance photo (see photo above) of the man and asked that he come forward so they could interview him as part of the investigation. Then, Friday morning, police toldKGW the man called them, after seeing himself on television.

The bus driver dropped the man off at the North curb line on NW Glisan Street before making the turn southbound onto NW Broadway. Ashort time later, the bus hit five pedestrians, killing two women.

Deadly crash investigation continues

The president of TriMet's employee union told KGW that a preliminary investigation found no evidence to suggest that the bus driver had been under the influence of drugs or alcohol.

Sandy Day, 48, wasn't using her cell phone or text messaging behind the wheel, either, according to TriMet union president Johnathan Hunt.

Preliminary reports show that she was not on a phone, she wasn't texting, she was alcohol and drug free and in all counts had a perfect driving record, he said.

A camera mounted on the front of the bus involved in the deadly TriMet crash last weekend has been handed over to investigators.

Authorities have not said what, if any, video was on the camera. But it was expected to show a front view of the crash that killed two women and injured three other people.

TriMet previously announced that any video from the bus would be turned over to police investigators.

We've given them the video, Fetsch said. The driver is cooperating. We really want them to have all the information we can give them so they can round out their investigation. Officials cautioned that it could take days to find out what went wrong shortly before midnight Saturday at a lighted intersection in downtown Portland.

The TriMet bus ran over the group of pedestrians as they crossed a NWPortland street last Saturday night.

Police said the bus was turning left from NW Glisan Street onto NW Broadway Boulevard when it hit the people crossing Broadway, just before midnight Saturday. Officers arriving at the scene found three people trapped beneath the bus. Police said the walk signals were green when the pedestrians entered the street.

Interactive map: Scene of deadly incident

Two of the three died at the scene. On Sunday police identified the two victims as Jenee Hammel, a 26-year-old from Gresham (pictured at left), and 22-year-old Danielle Sale (pictured, below left) of Vancouver.

Robert Erik Gittings, a 22-year-old from Idaho also was pinned underneath the bus. On Sunday evening Gittings remained listed in critical condition at Legacy Emmanuel Hospital.

Two others to receive minor injuries included Ryan Hammel and his wife, Jamie of Portland. Hammel was the older brother of the deceased victim, Jenee, according to police.

Speed did not appear to be a factor in causing the accident, police said.

The bus driver, Sandi Day, 48, was hired by TriMet in 2007 and she has now been placed on paid administrative leave, per procedure. Day took a drug test after the deadly incident, which was also standard procedure, according to TriMet spokeswoman Mary Fetsch.

You couldn't help them, witness Steve Radie said. The only thing you could do was talk and try to comfort them.

Friends and family are grieving the deaths of two women killed by the bus. On Monday, the father of one of the women lashed out at TriMet drivers in an interview with KGW. These bus drivers just got to pay attention, said David Sale. Too many people are getting in accidents. MORE: Father distraught by daughter's death

More than a hundred family and friends gathered at a candlelight vigil Monday night.

It's unreal, said friend Rochelle Potter.

Driver was filling in

On Saturdays she [Day] typically works the extra board, which means she works various routes to fill in for openings due to vacations, sick employees, etc. She has driven this route before, Fetsch said.

Day was said to be cooperating with authorities and no arrests have been made.

Fetsch said Day was on the Line 9-Powell/Broadway route when the incident occurred and there were no passengers on the bus.

Since 1988, 30 people have died in incidents involving TriMet buses.

More: List of TriMet fatalities

KGW Reporters Randy Neves and Katherine Cook contributed to this report.

Read or Share this story: