PORTLAND -- Firefighters had difficulty battling a house blaze in northeast Portland early Thursday morning, because of clutter piled up inside.

The blaze broke out just before 4 a.m. at 720 Northeast 91st Avenue. Firefighters said four people live at the home and they all got out safely, along with their pets.

Fire crews dealt with extreme clutter on the first level of the home, making it difficult to locate the fire and confirm that there were no victims, a spokesman with Portland Fire &Rescue said. With low visibility and several obstacles, crews had to find alternate means to locate and extinguish the fire.

Investigators determined that the cause of this fire was an unattended candle that was being used as a light source due to lack of power to the home. Damage was estimated at $50,000.

Read or Share this story: