Speedskating races range from 500 to 10,000 meters
Long track speedskating:
- the track is a quarter mile long and you could fit two hockey rinks inside it.
- It has two racing lanes.
- Skaters change each lap with the outside skater having the right of way.
- A skaters racing suit must conform to their body.
Short track speedskating:
- Think NASCAR on ice.
- Track is 121 yards around and it fits inside a hockey rink.
- 5-6 skaters compete at once.
Because blades are so sharp all skaters have to wear cut-resistant uniforms
A skater is disqualified if:
- Two false starts
- Cut off a competitor
- Use the wall for balance
The biggest difference in the discipline is the type of skate blade used:
- Long track skaters use a clap skate.The advantage of this skate is the blade briefly disconnects from the boot allowing the blade to stay on the ice longer and that increases the skater s power
- Short track skaters do not have a blade that releases at the heel instead skaters can adjust the curve of the blade to help them in their turns
And that s your look at the Rules of the Game