HILLSBORO, Ore. Firefighters battled a blaze at a Hillsboro motel Thursday afternoon and one person was hurt.

The blaze broke out in the second floor of the Hillsboro Budget Inn, located at 432 SE Baseline Road.

About 30 people who had been staying at the motel were safely evacuated as flames quickly spread into the attic.

The firefighters made a quick attack, knocking down the flames in the room of origin but found the fire had entered the attic space. Smoke was pouring from eaves at both ends of the building, said Bruce Montgomery with Hillsboro Fire &Rescue.

One person suffered burns in the fire and was transported by Metro West Ambulance to Legacy Emanuel Hospital with injuries that did not appear to be life-threatening, Montgomery said.

The flames caused heavy damage to a pair of adjoining rooms as well as smoke damage to several more. Damage was estimated at $100,000.

Investigators are still trying to determine exactly what sparked the fire.

Read or Share this story: