LINCOLN CITY, Ore. A tense standoff in Lincoln City ended Friday night when a Montana robbery suspect shot and killed herself in a car surrounded by dozens of police and members of the SWAT team.

The intense situation started earlier Friday afternoon around 2 p.m. when Lincoln City police got a tip from the FBI about two armed robbery suspects on the run from Butte, Mont., said Chief Keith Killian with the Lincoln City Police Department.

The suspects were a man and woman who reportedly tied up a man in his 70s at a Coins N Cards store and made off with guns and cash before going on the run in a black Nissan.

Police spotted the car at a vacation condo near Northwest 31st Street and Inlet in Lincoln City and called in Oregon State Police and the SWAT team. Two hours later, the fugitives got into the car and drove off with police following behind, Killian said.

Police initiated a high-risk stop, with lights flashing and guns drawn, prompting the male suspect, gun in hand, to run from the car. The suspect then pointed the gun at officers, but before any shots were fired, an Oregon State Police trooper slammed into the suspect with his patrol car.

The fugitive was taken to the hospital with serious injuries. The other suspect, however, remained in the vehicle armed with a gun, threatening to shoot herself or others.

Police immediately put surrounding businesses on lockdown, including a nearby community center with kids inside. People in area businesses were told to stay down and look out while police and the SWAT team negotiated with the woman for almost four hours.

Then, around 8:50 p.m., the woman, later identified as 30-year-old Sara Jo Johnson, shot and killed herself inside the Nissan.

The male suspect was later identified as 30-year-old Dale Edward Wallace.

We appreciate the patience and understanding of our citizens during this tense and potentially volatile event as it unfolded in our community, said Chief Killian.

View Larger Map

Read or Share this story: