PORTLAND A new law that went into effect Friday requires carbon monoxide detectors in many Oregon homes.

Before a home can be sold, its owner will have to install carbon monoxide (CO) detectors.

The law applies to any residence that contains a CO source. Gas furnaces, fireplaces, and other natural gas-powered appliances such as water heaters, clothes dryers, stoves and ovens are CO sources, according to Mike Hogan, of Kidde Residential & Commercial.

All rental units with a CO source also must contain properly functioning CO alarms as of Friday.

The Lofgren and Zander Memorial Act
was named in honor of a Beaverton woman, Kara Zander, who died from carbon monoxide poisoning along with her boyfriend in 2002 and in honor of an Oregon family overcome by carbon monoxide in a Colorado vacation home.

Click here for more carbon monoxide facts, provided by Kidde

Read or Share this story: