BEAVERTON, Ore. -- A cleaning crew at Rock Creek Elementary in the Beaverton School District finished the laborious task of disinfecting the entire school Saturday after a suspected norovirus outbreak sickened more than 100 students last week.
Background: 100 students sickened at Beaverton school
Officials closed the school Friday after close to a fifth of its students were experiencing symptoms of the virus like diarrhea and vomiting.
Washington County Public Health was working with the school district to stop the spread of the sickness Friday.
There is no treatment or vaccine for norovirus. To help avoid getting this illness, Vines recommended the following tips:
- Stay at home when ill to avoid further spread.
- Wash hands well and often. Always wash hands after using the toilet and before eating/preparing food.
- Flush vomit and feces down the toilet.
- Wash contaminated clothing or linens in hot water.
- For cleaning at home, mix one-third cup bleach to one gallon of water. Re-make every 24 hours. Caution: This may ruin certain surfaces.