PORTLAND -- Several Portland-area first responders are getting national attention after their life-saving rescue was caught on tape.

The video was recorded three years ago and shows then-53-year-old Wesley Rogers losing consciousness at his print shop on East Burnside.

I went into ventricular fibrillation and died while sitting in a chair, said Rogers.

The video shows his wife and co-workers springing into action, calling 911 and performing CPR. Four minutes later, fire fighters arrived, including Lt. Eli Armstrong of Portland Fire & Rescue.

There are four of us on a fire engine and it took all four of us (to save Rogers' life), he said. It also took the AMR ambulance paramedics and the hospital staff.

First responders and Rogers reunited at Portland Adventist Hospital on Wednesday for a photo shoot. Their story will be featured in the September issue of EMS World Magazine.

I'm all for recognizing the great work people did to save my life, said Rogers.

Not because they did something that other first responders wouldn't, but because their textbook rescue is being used to train other first responders.

We do (rescues like this) on a daily basis, said Former AMR Paramedic Kevin Cummo. I'm sure there are crews out there right now that are doing the same thing and not getting any recognition for it.

Doctors at Portland Adventist cared for Rogers after his cardiac arrest.

It's life and death, said emergency room Dr. Kelli Westcott. Heart disease and cardiac arrest are two of the top killers in the U.S. and the world. We want this to show people how important it is for them to call 911 as soon as they can during an emergency, and to learn CPR.

I felt very lucky that I was able to view the video later on, said Rogers. It's a teaching tool because it shows people what needs to be done.

Done by the book, and now in a magazine, it's a story that first responders say ends well in both.

(Rogers) seems to be doing great, Armstrong said. It's pretty satisfying to see a positive outcome like that.

Read or Share this story: