Show Thumbnails
Show Captions

TUALATIN, Ore. -- A Gladstone man estranged from his wife walked into her job and opened fire, killing her and wounding two others Tuesday before committing suicide, according to the Tualatin Police Department.

Chief Kent Barker confirmed Tuesday evening that Robert Beiser had walked into the Legacy Metro Lab drug testing clinic in Tualatin armed with a rifle around 11:30 a.m. and started shooting.

Witnesses told KGW that Beiser shot out all the windows in the lab upon walking in. He then shot and killed his wife, Theresa Beiser, who had recently filed for separation, according to police.

A 63-year-old man who reportedly worked at the drug testing center was shot. He was transported via LifeFlight ambulance to undergo surgery. A woman, 20 years old and also an employee, was also wounded, police said. She fled the building and found assistance from passers-by and medics before being taken to the hospital.

Both were expected to recover.

Taekwondo 2 Master instructor Al Dorsey was close to the couple. He said Teresa was a body builder, avid cyclist and health enthusiast and that Robert was quiet.

On October 30, Teresa filed for divorce. Dorsey said she had a boyfriend, and that may have been the reason for the split.

Recently, Dorsey said Robert mentioned he had purchased firearms and asked Dorsey if he wanted to go to a shooting range.

It struck me as odd that he wanted to go shooting, but what struck me was that for some reason, I knew he was going through a divorce and even though he didn't display any type of problems I just didn't think it was a good combination, Dorsey said.
Police, firefighters and medics from across Washington County and metro Portland responded after initial reports of the shooting were called in, according to Jennifer Massey with Tualatin PD. SWAT teams from Washington County Major Crimes Unit were quickly on the scene, closing streets and evacuating many businesses in the area.

Evacuees were transported to a nearby hotel, a witness told KGW. They were later released.

Schools in the Tigard-Tualatin School District were locked down for a brief period.

A Good Samaritan who was driving by just after the shooting spoke with KGW early on. Mike McNeil said he saw a woman covered in blood running across the business park's parking lot.

McNeil said he stopped to help her. She told him that an armed man walked into the drug testing center, opened fire, and that three or four people had been shot.

Baker said that one victim was found across the parking lot, covered in blood, near the Subway restaurant.

Workers were allowed back in before 2 p.m. The superintendent of schools said all children were safe and that schools were no longer under lock down.

KGW Reporter Amanda Burden reported from the shooting scene and KGW Staff contributed to this article.

Read or Share this story: