PORTLAND The man arrested after a 6-hour standoff in Southeast Portland Tuesday had stabbed a 16-year-old who was reportedly trying to steal marijuana growing in his back yard, court documents obtained by KGW Friday show.

It all started around 4:45 p.m. Tuesday when police showed up at 48-year-old Gerald Mathews home in the 3100 block of Southeast 26th Avenue.

Police found a 16-year-old on the ground with his entire head covered in bright blood, a hole in his chest and multiple stab wounds on his back. Neighbors said the teen had stumbled from the fenced yard of the home before collapsing, documents show.

The teen was taken by paramedics to Oregon Health & Science University for treatment of life-threatening-injuries. On Friday his condition was upgraded to good.

When officers knocked on the door and confronted Mathews, he said the teen was stealing his belongings. He also shouted expletives at officers and acted very erratic and aggressive, the documents say.

Police returned with a warrant, and after a standoff in which nearby homes were evacuated, Mathews surrendered and was arrested around 11:30 p.m.

Background: Pot grow, 29 dogs found at Portland standoff site

During an interview with police, Mathews said the teen had broken into his home and attacked him with a knife, but after detectives searched the home and found no evidence to back up the story, Mathews admitted he confronted the teen in his backyard where detectives had found blood, documents show.

Mathews had almost 500 marijuana plants growing in his backyard and told police he noticed his gate was open that afternoon. He then said he saw the small teen s face and shoulders through his grove of pot plants and took him to the ground, the documents say.

During the search of Mathews home, police found two rifles and a handgun, which he owned illegally because of a prior felony conviction.

Police said Mathews had a medical marijuana grower s license, which allows him to have six mature plants and 18 immature plants, but officers found 321 mature plants and 168 immature plants growing at his home, which is within 1,000 feet of a school.

Mathews was charged with attempted murder, first-degree assault, three counts of felon in possession of a firearm, and unlawful manufacture of marijuana with 1,000 feet of a school.

The next morning, officers returned and found 29 Chihuahuas living in the home. Animal Control officers recovered the dogs that appeared to be in good health.

Read or Share this story: