SALEM A Salem woman sued the makers of a serving dish warming fuel after she suffered burns to nearly one-third of her body when a canister exploded.

Lillis Larson was burned while volunteering at an art fair four years ago. She was at a booth selling warm sandwiches out of a chafing dish. She was using a can of chafing dish fuel made by Canadian company Eco-Flame.

When another volunteer filled up an empty Eco-Flame can that was cool to the touch it exploded.

I heard this explosion, I turned around and then I was on fire, Larson said. I want to make sure this doesn't happen to anybody else. It just really shouldn't happen.

She suffered second- and third-degree burns on approximately one-third of her body. She settled out of court for more than $5 million.

Larson s attorney said the manufacturer put profit over consumer. The bottle was labeled non-explosive.

The company did not return calls or emails from KGW Newschannel 8.

Read or Share this story: