PORTLAND -- The investigation into the disappearance of Kyron Horman a year ago Saturday will shift July 1 to what investigators call a more technical focus, with several agencies dropping out of a task force formed to solve the case.

The task force created last October included eight agencies, Sheriff Dan Staton said in a prepared statement released Thursday.

Read the statement

Dropping out are the Oregon State Police, the Washington and Clackamas County sheriff's offices and the Portland Police Bureau. Remaining are the FBI, the state attorney general and the Multnomah County sheriff and district attorney offices.

To meet the demands of this investigation as it continues to progress we will transition toward a more technical focus for the case starting July 1st, Staton said in the statement released by his public information officer Lt. Mary Lindstrand. We will be concentrating on technology-based forensics, data entry and review of information compiled, leads and specific tasks that have been identified for the investigation, along with continued case development.

Multnomah County will continue to be the lead agency. Staton said there will be a conclusion to the case.

Seven-year-old Kyron disappeared from his Portland area school, Skyline Elementary, June 4, 2010. That day, the last person to see him alive was his stepmother, Terri Moulton-Horman. She remains a person of interest but has not been named as a suspect by authorities.

He was dropped off by his stepmother and last seen after a school science fair before class started. A six-hour span of time passed before he was reported missing to authorities.

Detectives have chased down nearly 4,500 leads. Sources said they have looked at scores of potential suspects and have interviewed more than 450 people.

The conviction remains the same -- there will be a conclusion, deputy Lt. Mary Lindstrand saidThursday.

Kyron's mother, Desiree Young, said she lives every day hoping her son will walk back into her life.

We're not going to stop, she said, and we are going to find him.

Desiree and her husband Tony Young planned to plant flowers and build a fountain in their backyard as a place to remember Kyron.

Kyron's father, Kaine Horman, filed for divorce not long after Terri started becoming the focus of the investigation. Documents revealed police had informed Kaine that Terri had attempted to hire someone to murder him, an accusation that has not brought any charges.

In light of something not breaking, coming forward quickly, this is going to be a marathon, not a sprint. This could go on for two, three, four years, potentially without closure, Kaine said.

Desiree maintains that she believes Terri kidnapped Kyron.

It's one of those cases that's very disturbing to us, Chief Multnomah County Deputy Jason Gates said. It's disturbing to our public because we have a child that went missing from a school.

A fund has been set up to continued help in the search at

Complete coverage:The search for Kyron Horman

Read or Share this story: