PORTLAND -- After a resounding response to the new westbound Interstate 84 lane change onto northbound Interstate 5, KGW went back to see if drivers were catching on.

ODOT finished the final closures on I-84 Monday morning. On Monday, KGW's cameras caught driver after driver coming dangerously close to an accident while trying to merge onto northbound I-5.

The westbound ramp on I-84 that exits onto northbound I-5 is now one lane instead of two.

There are four clear signs up letting drivers know about the change, said Don Hamilton, spokesman for the Oregon Department of Transportation.

But, those who drove through the area Monday and Tuesday said they were caught off guard. What KGW saw Tuesday almost looked worse than Monday.

Just like Monday, cars were crossing the line to exit. But, Tuesday, two separate SUVs realized they needed to get over, swerving across lanes.

In both cases, the driver actually stopped on the freeway, blinker on, hoping to move.

Then, a semi-truck slowed down almost to a stop and crossed way over the line.

KGW showed the video to the ODOT.

There's no place in the Portland area where you can't find motorists making inappropriate choices when they drive along the roads, said Hamilton.

ODOT said there will be a learning curve and Hamilton estimated it'll be about two weeks or so before drivers thoroughly catch on.

Any time you make a change on a Portland-area highway, especially lane markings on a major intersection like this, there's a learning curve for motorists who need to know how to go through the system, he said.

During his morning commute, John Lindenthal was cut off.

The car in front of me was in the center lane and obviously wanted to go right because they just changed the lane configuration and so he pulled right over in front of me, said Lindenthal.

So was Jonathan Brooks with his young daughter in the car.

I was [cut off] for a split second, but then I had to slow down and I was able to manage it, but it was definitely a little shocking, said Brooks.

ODOT said temporary signs alerting drivers will be up for thirty days.

Read or Share this story: