VANCOUVER -- A Vancouver man was arrested after a suspicious man in the area was shot and killed early Tuesday morning.

Sean Doucette, 27, (pictured, left) was arrested on second-degree murder charges in connection with the shooting. He posted bail for $250,000Thursday, with the condition that he is not allowed to have firearms in his home or in his possession.

The incident began around 4 a.m. Tuesday, when dispatchers said they got a 911 call about a prowler near Northeast 33rd Street and 148th Place.

Minutes later, another call came into dispatch reporting that the prowler had been shot, said Kim Kapp with the Vancouver Police Department.

Officers arrived to find 19-year-old Iosif Dumitrash (pictured, right) dead in the street. The medical examiner's office said the cause of death is gunshot wound and the manner of death is homicide.

Court documents show that Doucette's wife called 911 to report that her husband had shot a man after a physical altercation between the two.

A defense attorney said Doucette was returning home from work when he heard a car alarm in the neighborhood. He then told his wife to call 911 and report a crime in progress, while he went to stop the crime. The defense also said Dumitrash attacked Doucette and that Doucette was defending himself, fearing for his safety.

In a probable cause statement, a witness said the men started fighting and fell to the ground. As the fight stopped and Dumitrash started to walk away, Doucette shot him, according to the witness.

Doucette s arraignment was scheduled for February 12.

The victim's brother Sergey Dumitrash told KGW his brother was born in Moldova and moved here in 1996. He said his brother was supposed to join him this week working for a tile company.

Iosif had told his mother that he wanted his life on a better track and he planned to attend a Slavic Bible School in Florida, Sergey said.

The last time I saw him, he was putting a smile on my face, Sergey said, Everybody loved him. He was just going out to hang out with his friends. He never came back.


KGW Reporter Ashley Korslien contributed to this report.

Read or Share this story: