PORTLAND -- Portland police think a convicted robber suspected of pulling a gun on a Portland State University security officer is the same man who later robbed a bank and carjacked a woman in Northeast Portland Monday.

More:Robbery and carjacking

David W. Chilton, 54, fled PSU and held up the Key Bank on NE102 and Halsey just before 4 p.m., leaving a fake explosive behind, according to investigators. The suspect then carjacked a woman outside, making off with a white 1997 Toyota 4Runner, with Oregon license plate 110 CYU.

Chilton was described as having blue eyes and brown hair, standing 5 foot 10-inches tall and weighing around 180 pounds. He was last seen wearing a dark green T-shirt and a gray baseball cap, and carrying a North Face backpack and a gym bag. Chilton also has lots of tattoos on his right forearm.

Anyone who may have seen Chilton was asked to call 9-1-1 immediately. Police believe he is armed and dangerous.

We obviously have great concern about his mental state, said Sgt. Pete Simpson with the Portland Police Bureau. You do two very violent crimes in different parts of the city... We want people to help us find him, but we don't want anyone to approach him.

PSUgun incident

The gun incident began shortly after 10 a.m. when security officers stopped two suspects loitering on campus, according to PSU spokesman Scott Gallagher. He said Chilton pulled a gun on the security guards, then ran away.

Officers detained the other suspect and began pursuing Chilton. He wast last seen in a parking garage on the northwest edge of campus, but SERTand K-9 officers were unable to locate him.

Several PSUbuildings, Lincoln High School and St. Mary's Academy were temporarily placed on lockdown as a precaution.

Past bank robbery conviction

Chilton was convicted in a high-profile bank robbery back in 2007. In that case, he pleaded guilty to robbing a Northeast Portland bank before stealing a City of Portland Jeep and then hopping on a Max train.

He was caught on the train and arrested with several bags of money and his disguise.

He had also left a device behind at the bank, saying it was a bomb he would detonate up if anyone called police, according to the federal court charging document.

More: Court document in '07 bank robbery

Read or Share this story: