SALEM, Ore. -- A smoke alarm alerted a Salem woman to a fire in her home Monday and she was able to safely escape with her grandchild, firefighters said.

After the fire was knocked down, investigators learned that the adult resident had been alerted to the fire when the smoke alarms in the home sounded, said Patrick J. Wineman with Marion County Fire District No. 1. The activation of the alarm gave the occupant enough time to escape the home with her grandchild before the fire advanced.

The fire was started by a child who had been playing with a cigarette lighter, investigators said.

The flames were doused before they spread past one room but investigators said there was smoke damage throughout the home.

This incident serves as an important reminder to keep lighters & matches out of the reach of children, Wineman said.

Read or Share this story: