PORTLAND, Ore. -- More protesters held what they were calling a general assembly in another anti-police demonstrationin NWPortland Friday.

The group numbered a few dozen and speakers addressed crowds using bullhorns. A large police presence including mounted patrols stood nearby.

Protesters clad in black gathered in NWPortland between Everett and Flanders streets Thursday evening, loosely organized behind painted banners and attempting to blockade traffic.

Sky-8 captured video of the protesters as they constructed a blockade of trash bags, turned over cans and caution tape. They held a sign that read united against police brutality and another dedicated to James Chasse.

James Chasse

was a mentally ill Portland man who later died in police custody in 2006.

The protest came on the same day that police and city leaders unveiled a policy change in how officers respond to emergency situations involving the mentally ill.

The first dispatch was delivered sometime around 5:30 p.m. by emergency responders, who instructed all bicycle officers to the scene.

However, local website Portland Indy Media reported that the intersection was closed at 5:07 p.m.

Bikeofficers quickly outnumbered the protesters, closed in, and prompted a quick dispersal. Some of the people were observed removing the black garb as they quickly left the scene. The demonstration clothing was tossed into dumpsters or dropped.

Last month, eight people were arrested in an unruly protest that began at the Portland State University campus and South Park Blocks, and proceeded west through downtown streets.

Photos: Park Blocks protest

That protest was the work of self-proclaimed anarchists who object to recent deadly use-of-force cases involving Portland Police officers. Community groups who have worked in recent months toward policy reform at the Portland Police Bureau have rejected the tactics used by the so-called Black Bloc protesters.

Two deadly use-of-force incidents have incited protests in recent months. The latest incident occurred March 22, when Jack Collins was fatally shot in the Hoyt Arboretum of Washington Park.

The Collins shooting came shortly after 25-year-old Aaron Campbell was shot and killed during a standoff in NEPortland. Police tactics in that incident were being investigated by the U.S. Department of Justice.

29 arrested in Olympia, 5 in Seattle

Officers arrested five people during an anti-police march in Seattle, a day after 29 people were taken into custody during a protest in Olympia.

Seattle Police spokeswoman Renee Witt said the five were arrested during a march in the Capitol Hill neighborhood Friday afternoon for investigation of crimes ranging from trespassing to inciting a riot.

On Thursday night, 29 people were arrested after an anti-police march in Olympia turned violent. Police Cmdr. Tor Bjornstad said the march involved about three-dozen people dressed in black, wearing masks and calling themselves anarchists. The group spray-painted the camera of a photographer for The Olympian newspaper, broke windows and threw newspaper boxes into the street.

Bjornstad said there was no identifiable group responsible for the demonstration, but most of the marchers were college age. He said it may be related to similar protests in Portland, Ore., where hundreds have marched through downtown streets in recent weeks to decry two fatal shootings by officers.

Read or Share this story: