ONTARIO, Ore. -- Two Ontario men are being treated for life-threatening injuries after they detonated a home-made bomb near a reservoir west of Vale, according to the Ontario Police Department.
Police say the men detonated the explosive device about 10 miles west of Vale near the Bully Creek Reservoir sometime before 7:30 p.m. Sunday.
Ontario Police Chief Mark Alexander says the men, ages 59 and 60, received life threatening and disfiguring injuries in the blast. Authorities say a dog also received injuries.
Police say the injured men were able to call for help, and a family member drove them to the Saint Alphonsus Hospital in Ontario where they were initially treated.
In a news release, Chief Alexander said the Nampa Bomb Squad was called to check the vehicle in question for explosives. Alexander says that's because indications were made that an unexploded device might be in the vehicle.
The Saint Alphonsus Hospital in Ontario was secured and the parking lot was put on lockdown during the check. No explosive device was found. The hospital resumed normal operations at approximately 11:30 p.m.
Both men were reported to have suffered extensive injuries in the blast. Police say one man was taken via Life Flight to Oregon Health & Science University in Portland for treatment. The other was transported via Life Flight to Saint Alphonsus Regional Medical Center in Boise.
Police say the two men live together in Ontario, and when officers obtained a warrant and checked their home on the 1200 block of Southwest Third Avenue, they found bomb-making materials and bomb-making instructions.
Police evacuated nearby homes during the investigation, which took until 2:30 a.m.
Malheur County Sheriff Brian Wolfe said the Nampa Bomb Squad found several blast sites and one undetonated explosive about 3-miles north of the Bully Creek Reservoir in an unpopulated desert area.
Wolfe said at least three bombs had been detonated. I can tell you they were home-made devices, Wolfe said. There appeared to be two or three types, and obviously very destructive.
Wolfe says he believes the explosives detonated at different times and places.
Officers with the Malheur County Sheriff's Office, Oregon State Police, the Nampa Bomb Squad, and agents with the Bureau of Alcohol Tobacco and Firearms are conducting a multi-jurisdictional investigation.
Chief Alexander says criminal charges are a possibility in this case. However, he says there's no indication of further threat to the public.