Show Thumbnails
Show Captions

NEWPORT -- A Milwaukie teen has been charged with aggravated murder for the beating and stabbing death of a Tigard man in a Lincoln City home.

Joseph Anthony Marsala, 17, was arraigned Wednesday on two counts of aggravated murder, one count of murder, three counts of first-degree assault and three counts of second-degree assault. Bail was set at $2 million and his next court appearance was scheduled for July 5.

Raw Video: Marsala arraignment

The charges were brought forth by Lincoln County District Attorney Rob Bovett in documents filed Wednesday outlining the death of Darrin Masterson Dow, 49, of Tigard. Marsala is pictured here at his Wednesday court appearance.

Police have not explained what they believe was the motive in the murder but court documents said that Dow, Marsala and another teen went to the Oregon Coast together last Friday.

More: Man died of blunt force trauma

An autopsy showed that Dow died of blunt force injuries but the court documents allege that he was also stabbed in the neck and the stomach with a knife. The death was part of an assault and robbery attempt of Dow that included a blow to the head with a garden tool, according to documents.

Marsala also was accused of hiding the garden tool and knife, stealing Dow's Cadillac Escalade along with his wallet, credit cards and cash.

A separate probable cause affidavit said that on June 25, a Portland resident called Portland police to report being an eyewitness to a murder committed by Joey Marsala in a Lincoln City home. Lincoln City police determined the exact address and found Dow's body, which had wounds similar to those described by the eyewitness.

On June 26th, a family member called Lincoln County police to report that Marsala had assaulted a man in Lincoln City. The family member described the attack in a similar fashion to the eyewitness, according to the affidavit.

Police also then recovered evidence that placed Marsala at the crime scene, the affidavit said.

The victim also had his own brushes with the law. Dow was arrested on drug and DUI charges in 2010 and then failed to appear in court. In 2011, he was arrested twice for driving with a suspended license.

In an odd twist in the case, Marsala wrote a message on his Facebook page just before he was arrested that asked friends and family to forgive him and said: All of you will understand soon enough.

Read or Share this story: