VANCOUVER-- A judge has dropped the charges against a Vancouver man who shot and killed a suspected car prowler across the street from his house last year, according to a newspaper report.
Sean Doucette, 27, was returning home from work on Jan. 29, 2013 when he heard a car alarm in the neighborhood, according to court documents. Doucette told his wife to call 911 and he approached the suspected car prowler, 19-year-old Iosif Dumitrash.
By the time police arrived at the scene, Dumitrash was lying dead in the street.
Background: Vancouver man posts bail after deadly shooting
A neighbor told police the two men got into a fight and Dumitrash was walking away when Doucette shot him. But the medical examiner's report showed Dumitrash was actually shot in the chest.
Doucette was charged with second-degree murder, based on the witness statement.
The Columbian reported Thursday that the witness later gave a different account, claiming Doucette was being attacked when he fired his gun in self-defense.
Based on the new witness account, and at the request of prosecutors, Superior Court Judge Dan Stahnke dismissed the charges against Doucette, according to the report.